Monday 25 April 2016

Christmas roses and roses on designer hand knits

Rose floral waistcoat
Model wearing Rose waistcoat and running along the Long Border
I love using floral images on my knitwear designs.  I am very fond of roses, but can’t grow my own as I don’t have a garden.  I do have a small roof terrace, which is over-populated with plants in containers, and now have a lovely collection of delicate-looking Hellebores (Christmas Roses).  Though not in such vibrant colours as garden roses, they do a great job of brightening my life and, when they first started flowering, reminded me that Spring was just around the corner - probably wishful thinking!
Christmas rose - mottled hellebore with double centre
Rose designs have been used on several hand knits in the past such as these vintage cardigans and waistcoat in 4ply weight mercerised cotton or wool.
Rose cardigan 1
Rose design white cotton hand knit cardigan with leaf-shaped pointed hem

Rose cardigan 2
Rose and lacy floral pattern panelled cardigan - navy cotton background


Rose waistcoat
Cream rose pattern wool waistcoat
I have added roses to a pair of fingerless mitts, which can be knitted by anybody who can do intarsia.  
Rose hand knit fingerless mitts

Rose fingerless mitt - left hand
The PDF pattern is available from Twisted Classics shop on Ravelry - rose mitts

No comments:

Post a Comment