Saturday 23 April 2016

Puffin on Staffa, Puffin hand knit mitts and Puffin carousel ride

During a holiday to Oban in Scotland, I went on a long day trip, via several ferries and over several hours, to Staffa in the Inner Hebrides.  There, after clambering along soggy uneven ground on the top of the cliffs, I fulfilled a dream - seeing a real puffin.  Mind you - only one was obliging enough to put in an appearance.  It had just popped out from its nest in a hole a long way down the side of the cliff and, to this day, I don't know how I managed to get it to appear in my photograph!  I only had a small digital camera with me and the viewfinder was so tiny that I couldn't see anything in it.  All I could do was point and hope for the best - and, miracle of miracles - it worked!!!  So, in my eyes, the long, long journey was very worth while.
Puffin in Staffa
Puffin on the cliffs in Staffa
And, inspired, by this cute comical bird, I designed a pair of fingerless mitts with puffins on the front.   You can see them at TwistedClassics - on Ravelry  - where the knitting pattern is for sale.  The knitted gloves are available from TwistedClassics Etsy shop
Puffin fingerless mitts

Puffin mitts - left hand glove


 
On another trip to North Berwick, which is on the coast not far from Edinburgh, I came across this great brightly coloured Puffin carousel.  I did not have time to ride in a puffin tea cup though.
Puffin carousel
Puffin children's tea cup carousel fairground ride

No comments:

Post a Comment