Monday 23 May 2016

Peacocks - knit inspiration and noisy birds

One of my ideas for a knitwear design some years ago was based on vases of flowers and peacocks.  Unfortunately, I do not have any photographs of the actual knits, but the designs are still sitting on my computer.  I took a photograph of the screen showing a design for the fronts of a hand knitted 4ply-weight waistcoat.

Peacock and flowers design for the fronts of a hand knitted waistcoat
I am fascinated with peacocks and have seen them wandering around London's Holland Park and Quex Park, which is not far away from London.

I often go to Pendley Manor in Tring for their yearly Shakespeare Festival in August.  This year, for a change, I was there last Friday in order to attend a Murder Mystery dinner with friends, which included an over-night stay in the hotel.  There were, as usual, peacocks wandering around the grounds.  In the garden, I came across this lovely brightly-coloured peacock with a very long set of beautiful tail feathers.

Colourful peacock with very long tail feathers
There was also a dreamy ethereal white one too.

Ethereal white peacock
There are usually signs in the car park to tell people that the peacocks have right of way!

There was one big drawback - however much I love peacocks, I could do with them keeping quiet in the early morning.  One must have been roosting somewhere below my room and it started mewing at 5.30 a.m. and kept on at regular intervals until it was time for me to get up.  I was lying awake thinking about another victim for the Murder Mystery!

No comments:

Post a Comment